Bowen University was named after the late Rev Thomas Jefferson Bowen an American missionary who pioneered Baptist mission work in Nigeria in 1854.
Bowen University has graduated about 12000 Bowenians who are doing great things all over the world.
Our Mission is centred on creating a conducive and dynamic teaching, learning and research environment, that gives Bowenians a Christ like character, positive attitude and sterling leadership qualities.
Bowen University has zero tolerance for anything that maligns the mission statement of the University.
Since the current administration took over, it has been a story of transformation, repositioning, rebranding with attendant accomplishment, in the history of the university.
Bowen University has changed its business model, from the Faculty model to the new and modified Collegiate system as part of the many expectations of the new strategic plan of the University.
The modified collegiate system is premised on a decentralised administrative structure. It uses the place of College, instead of Faculty, and Programs in place of Courses.
The University wide smart school hub is already available on google playstore
Recently, Bowen University commissioned a Bowen Security Check Application called Bowen Gate App (BGA), created by a team of students of the University through a Student Development Scheme, to think through indigenous University problems, and come up with lasting solutions which will be reviewed on a grand scale and criticked heavily.
In the area of infrastructural development, we have complied with the 21st Century approach to technologically driven infrastructure. On Tuesday September 25, 2018 we laid the foundation of 288 Bedrooms. The hostel has a smart card entry, and is designed to provide additional comfort to our students. The building will be commissioned during the 14th Convocation Ceremony.
This administration has established a collaboration with the State University of Virginia in the USA, and the National Space Research and Development Agency (NSRDA) in Abuja, for the deployment of Super Dual Equatorial Radar Network, popularly referred to as Super DERN system, to help the study of atmospheric physics and monitor the Equator.
The project is worth 10 million USD, and its going to be the first Super DERN facility to monitor the whole of the lower latitude, not only in Africa but in the entire world.
The University has received a number of awards within the last one year worthy of mention;
The awards include;
- Award of Excellence by the association of Heads of Security for Tertiary Institutions, for outstanding contribution to campus security and safety.
- Award of Excellence by Bowen University for being the most security conscious Vice Chancellor
- Merit award by the Federal Ministry for Labour and Employment Osun State, in recognition for our outstanding contributions to the provision of decent employment in Osun State.
- Excellent performance award by the Nigerian Police Force
The 14th Convocation highlights
868 graduands will be conferred with degrees. The classification of degrees to be awarded are as follows;
- MBBS – 39 Graduands
- First Class Honours – 56 Graduands
- Second Class Upper Division – 302 Graduands
- Second Class Lower Division – 375 Graduands
- Third Class Honours – 66 Graduands
- Post Graduate – 30 Graduands